Pages

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

White Skin for Filipinos

If you are traveling in the Philippines, don't be surprised if you see these commercials when you turn on the television..

"Skin-Whitening products"

Probably one of the most popular and the best sellers in the Philippines and in other Asian countries. While some western people spend lots of money to achieve a darker skin, some Filipinos spend theirs on skin-whitening products.

Well, surprise!

Some people would do anything to get that tan beach babe look when some already had it but are still trying to get rid of it. That's just the way things are, we want what we don't have. We don't appreciate what God gave us. Maybe He made us different so someone else could appreciate those differences. Just imagine if everyone looked alike, it's like removing the colors of a rainbow. Would it still be called a 'rainbow'?

Some filipinos are born with a lighter skin tone, I'm one of them. People here think I'm lucky and when I say that I want darker skin, they would say "Are you crazy?!". I don't know why they react like that. It's not that I don't like being light-skinned because sometimes I could use it for my advantage :D LOL. I just want to try something new and maybe I could inspire some filipinos and show them that.. Hey, I'm filipino too but I want darker skin! But I realized that by doing that, I will be changing myself and I don't know how that could inspire filipinos not to change themselves.

I wish filipinos would know that in some parts of the world, there are people who appreciate their beauty and would actually want to have some characteristics they have. If most celebrities and rich people here have white skin, how can we tell some filipinos to embrace their dark skin? I don't think it would also be good for the businesses, the economy if filipinos suddenly stop buying these skin-whitening products because there are a lot of companies who are dedicated in selling these products.

I guess we should just let people do whatever they want to make themselves happy.

9 comments:

  1. I like tan skin better.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has always amazed me! Filipinos have such a beautiful skin tone but, as you noted, everyone wants what they don't have.

    I enjoyed reading the blog, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point you got there... Although it may come as a pleasant surprise that there are actually alot of Filipinas out these days who no longer adhere to the Maria Clara ideals (the "mestisang mahinhin" type). Well one of the prettiest girls in our campus back in highschool used to have ivory skin but then she thought it would be cool to have a tan... (she ended up having sun burns instead).

    And it's also an added bonus that olive skinned women have a lower risk of having skin cancer than their caucasian counterparts.

    It pays to be Morena. :)

    There are actually women who still manage to beguile the Filipino masses despite their not-so-light skin color. To name a few, there's Dina Bonnevie, Tetchie Agbayari, and beauty titlists Precious Lara Quigaman and Miriam Quiambao.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ウェブ開発者 | リチー ライアンJune 8, 2009 at 7:57 AM

    I was living here in Tokyo and believe it or not, they like Tan skinned than pale looking one. I asked them and they said, tanned skin looks healthy.

    I think, it is just normal for anyone to crave for things they don't really have in common. ^_~

    do you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments. I agree with all of you. :D

    Sometimes we don't realize what beauty we already have because we always want something that we don't have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi!
    i was googling "filipinos born with light skin" cause i'm one of them too. and i agree how other filipinos want our colour but we want theirs!

    in canada, even though people mistake me for being a mix of chinese + european of some sort, my skin is the smoothest :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello there..

    you got me interested with that post.. well, I'm glad that others still prefer tan-colored skin. However, most filipinos now prefers lighter skin tone. Which is why glutathione had become such a hit in Asian countries. Especially here in the Philippines.

    You might want to check out my site. I came up with a number of posts regarding skin whitening. side effect of glutathione and the new products that are out in the market to meet the concerns of asians.

    I'll be looking forward to your comments/opinions on my posts. Hope to see you soon.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi...
    I have a dark color skin and I like to change it I used whiting skin products and everything I try so many things just to have a white skin, but I get tired and I stop using whiting products and then I realize having a dark skin is not that bad at all when I look my self in the mirror I feel so good bout myself and I think it's hot... hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was born with fair skin,grow up in mindanao,no such thing as beauty in fair skin,playing all day under the sun,dilemma:fair skin tht is full of small moles,lentigo and freaking freckles,redish cheeks and around the nose,and the worst i have telangiectasias in my left cheek,i was so envy with those brown and flawless face,omg!i became insecure,thanks God i am here in europe now,i can purchase those products with redness relief tht nowhere to be found in ph.i just cant live with those pinkish face here,especially during winter,my face look like smash,been punch in the face,redness from cheeks to forehead at the tip of the nose,arggg,tru we want those we dont have,behavior of a human being,

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Blogger Templates